Mediterranean cauliflower stew adapted from a recipe by Mari Maris
Mediterranean cauliflower stew
Adapted from a recipe by Mari Maris
In 2013, chef Mari Maris published her Groentebijbel. Her most recent cookbook Groenten is about everyday vegetables like potatoes, elegant peas, Sunday sauerkraut and lots more. Last year, we sent Mari an EcoStoof® while she was writing her book. She used it for making couscous and vegetable dishes. The recipe below from her new cookbook has been adapted for the EcoStoof® by Iris.
Ingredients for 4 people
2 onions in thin wedges
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 to 2 teaspoons smoked paprika powder
300 grams red lentils
4 sprigs thyme, preferably lemon thyme, picked and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons Sud 'n Sol tomatoes, in strips
2 tablespoons pitted green olives
2 tablespoons capers
2 to 3 celery in 4 mm dice
1 cauliflower with stem and leaves, cut in bite-sized pieces
600 ml vegetable stock
100 grams soft young goat's cheese
50 g Parmesan, grated
A few halved mini plum tomatoes to garnish
- Soften the onion in olive oil in a large heavy-based pot on medium heat. When the onion is translucent, add the smoked paprika, stir to release its flavour for about a minute, then add the lentils, thyme, garlic, Sud 'n Sol tomatoes, olives, capers and vegetables, keeping back a handful of the cauliflower and a quarter of the thyme for later. Stir thoroughly to mix.
- After 2 minutes, add the vegetable stock so that the other ingredients are just covered. Bring to a boil while stirring.
- Turn the heat down and let simmer for 5 minutes with the lid on the pot. Wait until the lid has heated up.
- Place in the EcoStoof® for at least an hour.
- Ladle the stew into individual dishes, crumble over the goat's cheese and sprinkle with Parmesan. Have you got an oven to hand? Then place it under the grill or in an oven at 200 °C. It's still very delicious without grilling, if you're camping, for example.
- Garnish with the mini plum tomato halves, cauliflower pieces or some spare olives.
Read an interview with Mari Maris here.
Want to know more about Mari Maris?
Please visit marimaris.nl or follow her on Instagram
Or buy her books from:
Author: Mari Maris
Dutch Hardcover 9789038810744 Published: 1 January 2022, 512 pages